THE URBAN REVOLUTION STARTS FROM US.
The Eyes Hearts Hands project steers the transformation of cities while considering local heritage and social context. It involves and supports residents in their green transition close to home.
THE GREAT CHALLENGES OF MODERN CITIES
Climate change threatens to increase people’s vulnerability, undermine economic gains, hinder social and economic development, and worsen access to essential services. As 55% of the world’s population lives in urban areas, cities play a key role in tackling climate change. However, many cities often lack the skills to deploy their energy and sustainability plans effectively and city managers struggle to identify the right technological solutions and to govern full-scale renovation processes.
The Eyes Hearts Hands project thus responds with an innovative methodology that embraces the New European Bauhaus (NEB) principles. It aims to bridge the worlds of art, culture, and education with science and technology. The project will also contribute to the EU Missions that have commonalities with the NEB, with both initiatives aiming to tackle major challenges in health, climate, and the environment through closer engagement with citizens and harnessing the power of research and innovation.
HOW TO MAKE OUR CITIES SMARTER AND APT FOR THE 21ST CENTURY?
- Enhance local contexts and prepare them for an EU “Just Transition” through a holistic Eyes Hearts Hands methodology that has a high replication potential
- Engage governmental, private, and industrial stakeholders and residents locally through an efficient and always-open channel of communication; local communities will co-design the future look of their districts and participate in decision-making processes
- Establish a framework that accounts for the traditional financing methods and funding schemes, and combines traditional funding with innovative business models streams to guarantee affordability of the investment
- Validate the proposed methodology by implementing innovative technological, social, and financial solutions in 7 lighthouse districts in total respect of the local heritage and site-specific characteristics
- Support the NEB and EU Missions and echo their values through strategic communication, capacity building and training in the localities
COMPLEX CHALLENGES CALL FOR CROSS-DISCIPLINARY COLLABORATION
The Urban Revolution is headed by an EU-wide multidisciplinary partnership with 28 partners, 4 third parties, and 7 districts from 8 countries.
THE MORE WE SHARE, THE MORE WE DEVELOP
Meet the NEB community – the other projects that aim to transform European districts into resilient urban innovation landscapes, and thus pave the way for the future of modern urban renovation and development in the true spirit of the New European Bauhaus.